- 6 Anjou or Comice pears (slightly underripe), peeled and cut into large pieces
- 4 apples (a combination of Granny Smith, McIntosh, and Golden Delicious)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Core, peel, and cut the pears and apples into large chunks. In a large, heavy pot, toss with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Combine the pears and apples with the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes or until the fruit is tender but not mushy.
- Uncover the pot, stir and cook 5 minutes more. Adjust the flavors and remove from heat, stirring carefully so as not to break up the fruit too much. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate, covered, for up to 4 days.