– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
– 2/3 cup brown sugar
– 1/3 cup granulated sugar
– 2 large eggs, room temp
– 1/3 cup milk
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1 large apple, peeled and finely chopped
– 1 stick unsalted butter
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 1/3 cup heavy cream, divided
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 2-3 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with liners and set aside.
2. Whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together in a medium bowl until combined. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until smooth then whisk in the vanilla extract and milk. Set aside.
3. Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir gently until combined. The batter will have a few lumps. Fold in the apples.
4. Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full with batter. Bake for 21–23 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. A toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean when done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Whisk constantly over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add salt. Allow to bubble for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for about 30 minutes. Add 2 cups confectioners sugar and heavy cream using an electric mixer. Slowly add 1/2 – 1 cup confectioners sugar until you reached desired consistency.